[wplug] SMB connection slowing down

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at alumni.carnegiemellon.edu
Thu Jul 22 08:29:11 EDT 2004

On Friday 16 July 2004 18:06, John Harrold wrote:
> Sometime in July Alexandros Papadopoulos assaulted the keyboard and
produced:
> | I don't have the first idea how to troubleshoot this, any
> | suggestions?
>
> Hey Alex.
>
> Do you have the same problem with slowing down when you use a wired
> connection?

On a wired connection, its behavior is consistent (not bursty at all),
but still quite slow:

alex at debian:~$ time cp lala /mnt/srv01/users/Alex/

real    9m1.423s
user    0m0.050s
sys     0m52.980s
alex at debian:~$ ls -lh lala
-rw-r--r--    1 alex     alex         245M Jul 22 14:57 lala
alex at debian:~$

I guess this is no longer an SMB issue, just a slow network connection
issue (which is interesting, considering the two 100Mbit NICs connected
on the same 100Mbit switch...)

> Can you boot windows on the linux box and see if the
> problem persists under windows?

> Can you try to transfer the file
> using another protocol -- say ftp from the windows machine to the
> linux box and try to transfer the file?

Oh no - don't make me set up FTP on NT4 nooargh...! :-)

As per your suggestion, I did the following:

debian:~# mii-tool eth0
eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-FD flow-control, link ok

So there seems to be no duplex mismatch (the switch certainly supports
full duplex, as well as the server).

Also, this doesn't seem to be a samba issue, as I'm not using samba on
the server - it's a NT4 machine.

This might be a backoff problem, especially since the LAN protocol
change (802.3 vs 802.11b) made such a difference. Understandably,
802.11b is much slower (theoretically almost 9 times slower than 802.3
in my setup), but that doesn't explain the decreasing rate of
transmission. Unfortunately I can't reproduce this now, I get a steady
rate :-(

Thank you for your help!

-A