[wplug] Wireless PCI Cards

Jason Carr jason at flacid.org
Fri Jul 16 17:23:23 EDT 2004

I've got a Netgear MA311 (not a MA311+ or something like that...)
that works great.  I'm using the HostAP drivers, which work wonders.
I also upgraded the firmware.

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=50222007

lspci -v

00:06.0 Network controller: Harris Semiconductor Prism 2.5 Wavelan
chipset (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Harris Semiconductor Prism 2.5 Wavelan chipset
        Memory at eddfe000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=4K]
        Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2

hostap can be found at:

http://hostap.epitest.fi/

I am only using WEP encryption, not WPA as my workstations don't
support it without extra work.  I am using the development release,
which at this point is 0.2.3 for the driver.  You do need to be
understanding of how the kernel works and atleast have the kernel
sources available for the driver, as it's loaded as a module.

You should probably flash your card to enable a bunch of cool stuff
like MAC filtering and such.  Here are instructions on how to do so:

http://linux.junsun.net/intersil-prism/

As with anything including the word "flash" you should be careful
and don't do it if you can't stand to lose a card... however, this
is my success story! :)

http://linux.junsun.net/intersil-prism/stories/Jason_Carr_Netgear_MA311_PCI.txt

If you have any more questions, feel free to email me in private or
to the public group.

- Jason

jason (jason at flacid.org)