[wplug] SMB connection slowing down

Poyner, Brandon bpoyner at ccac.edu
Fri Jul 16 13:43:46 EDT 2004

It's also possible the problem is tcp backoff.  The file services are
run over 139/tcp (netbios session service).  If you begin to lose
packets the transmission rate will be lowered.  If it continues to lose
packets the connection will continue to degrade.  You can use an
analyzer such as tcpdump to see if packets are being re-transmitted.  As
Nathan mentioned that can sometimes be caused by duplex mismatching, but
there are other possible reasons such as bad cabling or a weak WiFi
signal.  The ultimate book on TCP/IP is TCP/IP Illustrated Vol 2 by W.
Richard Stevens and Gary Wright.  I worked briefly with Gary and it's
spooky what he can tell you from a tcpdump.

Brandon Poyner
Network Engineer II
CCAC - College Office
412-237-3086