[wplug] ifconfig

Logan lws118 at psu.edu
Fri Jul 16 00:41:19 EDT 2004

I just installed Slackware 10 on a desktop which used to run Mandrake, and am
having networking troubles.

root#  ifconfig eth0 up
eth0: unknown interface: No such device

but it's defined in /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1.conf
when I run /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 I get an error
"modprobe: Can't open dependencies file /lib/modules/2.4.18-bf2.4/modules.dep
(No such file or directory)"

I think rc.inet1 is just running "/sbin/modprobe tulip" (which generates the
same error)

Am I missing a file here, or do I have something mis-configured, or what?
lspci says my NIC is a "Macronix, Inc. [MXIC] MX987x5 (rev 20)" am I using the
wrong driver for it? I've had trouble with that before, but I can't find
anything.

I wish I could have brought this to the install fest last week, but I had to
work, if I can't fix this by tomorrow will anyone be attending the GUM that
could help me out?

The Internet treats censorship as a malfunction and routes around it.
	John Perry Barlow.