[wplug] LDAP

Duncan Hutty duncanhutty at comcast.net
Wed Jul 14 20:56:22 EDT 2004

Jason Jerome wrote:

><snip>
>I've been looking for a way to provide an easy way for us to keep a
>common shared address book for the company.  I've come across LDAP
>before, but I never really understood what it was doing.

http://www.onlamp.com/lpt/a/3310 should be informative. There is lots of
information about using LDAP in IBM's developerworks and although much
of it is focussed on creating LDAP aware apps or concerned with some of
their proprietary software, there are at least 2 which should be relevant.

Once you have specific questions about how to configure, ask again and
i'll try to help.

As to whether it's overkill:
Possibly. Most people that I have come across have said that setting up
an LDAP server for just one purpose is not worth it for a small
organization, although I'm not sure that I agree. However, once the
directory is used as the repository for user information (or possibly in
the case of LDAP as a backend for Samba, host information) for more than
one purpose, you will begin to accrue the benefits. Imagine using an
LDAP directory as the single point of administration of user information
for your Samba servers, your mail servers (smtp/pop/imap/webmail),
addressbook, custom web apps, etc. etc. Intellectually, it's very
appealing to me, and I am working on using it this way.

Duncan Hutty