[wplug] LDAP

Dave Neuer mr_fred_smoothie at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 13 13:33:21 EDT 2004

--- Jason Jerome <jjerome2 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've been looking for a way to provide an easy way
> for us to keep a
> common shared address book for the company.  I've
> come across LDAP
> before, but I never really understood what it was
> doing.

<snippage>

> We have a Linux server right now for our BugZilla
> installation, but I'd
> probably be setting it up at home on my Fedora box.
> Anyone have any
> suggestions where I could start?  Is this overkill
> for the results I'm
> looking for?
>
> Thanks in advance...

OpenLDAP comes w/ most Linux distributions, though
documentation for the tools and stuff can be a little
sparse. Microsoft's Active Directory(tm) also
implements LDAP, along w/ proprietary extensions --
and if you already have an MS sysadmin, that may be
easier to setup.

Almost all popular graphical mail clients that have
"address book" functionality speak LDAP, so setting
the clients up just means pointing them at your LDAP
server or AD machine.

One word of caution; OpenLDAP has, in the past, been a
frequent source of security bugs (just like WU-FTP);
if you run it, I'd highly suggest you keep it inside
some non-externally accessible zone (same can be said
for Active Directory).

Dave