[wplug] [rant] D-Link Access Point requires a M$ machine to use...

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at alumni.carnegiemellon.edu
Tue Jul 13 10:13:41 EDT 2004

Hi folks.

As difficult as it sounds, the good people over at D-Link have managed
to create products that have a user-friendly administrative web
interface which doesn't work with Mozilla or Konqueror. It only works
with Internet Explorer, and hence requires a Microsoft machine to use.

I am attaching the offending page, in case someone knows enough about
javascript to be able to discern how they manage to break the code
enough to make it work only on IE. The thing breaks when one enters the
WEP key - it simply will not accept it with anything else than IE.

This is extremely disturbing to me, because the mentality of D-Link's
support person I was troubleshooting this with, seems to be prevailing:
"Why don't you try this from a Windows machine, just to be sure that
it's not Linux's fault?"

This is a DWL-2000+, which I believe is not sold on the US market.
Nevertheless, as a consumer and non-Microsoft user, I wish I had some
sort of defense against such discriminatory practices.

Cheers

-A