[wplug] Still more DRI problems

Carl Benedict cbenedic at pittsburghtechs.com
Mon Jul 12 03:55:43 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2004-07-12 at 02:26, chris at thistlethwaite.net wrote:
> Yes its true, I still can't get my 3D working.  Slack
> 9.1, radeon 9600, latest ATI drivers, kernel 2.4.22.
> The following is from my XFree86 Log:
>
> (II) fglrx(0): Kernel Module Version Information:
> (II) fglrx(0):     Name: fglrx
> (II) fglrx(0):     Version: 3.2.8
> (II) fglrx(0):     Date: Sep 21 2003
> (II) fglrx(0):     Desc: ATI Fire GL DRM kernel module
> (WW) fglrx(0): Kernel Module version does *not* match
> driver.
> (EE) fglrx(0): incompatible kernel module detected - HW
> accelerated OpenGL will not work

The fglrx module is not loading because of a version mis-match.  Are you
sure you downloaded the proper one from:

http://www.ati.com/support/drivers/linux/radeon-linux.html

?  They have a shell script that will detect your version of XFree for
you.  That URL shows their latest driver version to be v3.9.0 and it
looks like you are running a much older one (Sep 21 2003) v3.2.8.

My apologies if you've already tried this and for any additional loss of
hair due to my reply :P

> (II) fglrx(0): [drm] removed 1 reserved context for
> kernel
> (II) fglrx(0): [drm] unmapping 8192 bytes of SAREA
> 0xf0c85000 at 0x40231000
> (WW) fglrx(0):
> (WW) fglrx(0): * DRI initialization failed!
>      *
> (WW) fglrx(0): * (maybe driver kernel module missing or
> bad) *
> (WW) fglrx(0): * 2D acceleraton available (MMIO)
>      *
> (WW) fglrx(0): * no 3D acceleration available
>      *
> (WW) fglrx(0):
> ********************************************* *
>
> If thats at all legible, maybe someone can help me out.
>  I don't know why but I'm sure its something "simple"
> due to the fact that I've ripped all my hair out.
> Thank you,
> Chris
>
> PS.  anyone try out Slack 10 yet???  X.org any good?

I haven't tried slack10 yet, but I have been running X.org for the last
2 months under Fedora Core 2.  I'm happy to report no major glitches :)

--
Carl Benedict
Pittsburgh Techs
cbenedic at pittsburghtechs.com