[wplug] linux system administration

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Jul 8 15:06:18 EDT 2004

Dileep Vangasseri <dil5516 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> In Windows we do disk clean up or defragmentation once
> in  a while to make the system clean. Is there
> anything that we have to do regularly for running a
> linux system properly?

No.

It's always funny to me when this question comes up, for a number reasons:
1) It's one of the first questions I asked when I started using POSIX systems
   again around 1998.
2) It's embarrassing to me to imagine that Microsoft can't create a filesystem
   that doesn't need defragmenting, when the Unixes have had such a filesystem
   since the late 70s.
3) It's got to be in a bazillion FAQs and mailing list archives across the
   Internet, yet it still gets asked on some mailing list every other month
   or so.  It seems to be that people freak out if they can't defrag their
   filesytems every so often.  I really don't get it.
4) Despite the fact that it's totally unnecessary, there actually _are_
   programs available that attempt to defrag ext2!  This just goes to prove
   that there are companies out there that will sell you worthless crap.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies