[wplug] Exploder to Fire Fox

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed Jul 7 21:26:23 EDT 2004

Shawn Henderson <shawn at techcoms.net> wrote:
> I have a samba server acting as a domain controller. Is there a way that
> I can Have a script that delete the shortcuts on the desktop,quicklaunch
> and startmenu for Internet Exploder. At the same time installing Mozilla
> Fire Fox. Maybe like a little vbscript or something that gets ran from
> the server when they login.
> I was also thinking of doing it this way . I have a proxy server in the
> network , I can redirect all users to a site and run a script to do it.
> But that would take the knowledge to create the virus like script and I
> would have to get around the priveledges I have set for my users.
> Creating script = learnable
> Changing Privs = pain in the rear

Samba can be configured to have clients run a batch file on login.  This
would be a file in the windows batch language (.bat)  I don't remember the
Samba config option off the top of my head, but a quick search of the
docs should turn it up.

The windows batch language is pretty limited, but you should be able to
get it to do what you need.  An alternative would be to install active
Perl on each client machine, then make the scripts in perl.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies