[wplug] Re: Comcast cable on suse 9

Dileep Vangasseri dil5516 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 6 12:36:04 EDT 2004

"Frank W. Holden Jr." <frank.holden at comcast.net> wrote:
Hello Holden

>This will be NO problem once you have the modem installed and
>reconized by their systems! They go through a lot of back flips with a
>proxy to manually log into the server. It is much easier to do it all
>via Win$nore, but not impossible in Linux... (personal experience) Now
>they are not happy that you will be using Linux as your OS! Too easy
>for you to do things that they can't put their thumb down on you or
>able to charge you for it!

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, I could make it work on my suse 9. Eventhough they told me that it would not support linux, I thought of taking a chance. I loaded the software that they gave me on my windows partition (a horrible software) and got the cable connection activated. After that I had to just boot into linux and make the netcard DHCP (non static ip) and it just worked fine. But as you told rightly, I had to take their software for windows to make the cable connection activated. :-)

With regards,

Dileep

http://mail.yahoo.com