Found a solution :o) (was Re: [wplug] Problems trying to make boot/root disk set)

Hagbard Celine wplug at wplug.org
Sun Jul 4 21:57:35 EDT 2004

On Sun, Jul 04, 2004 at 04:46:26AM -0400, Carl Benedict wrote:

> I've have also been building a recovery / utility disc lately, although
> mine will be CDROM-based.
>
> Exactly what kind of error messages / failures do you get?  At what
> point does the failure occur?
>
> I have been using chroot and bochs to test my images.  Both are
> definitely time-saving and useful utilities.
>
> --
> Carl Benedict
> Pittsburgh Techs
> Main:  724-741-0233
> http://www.pittsburghtechs.com
> cbenedic at pittsburghtechs.com

I appear to have found a solution to the problem, but by way of description:

I would get two error messages, depending on whether or not I could get to
busybox.  At first, I would get something on the order of
'cannot find /sbin/init' when the kernel tried to invoke it.  Later, when I
dropped Slackware's rootdisk libraries on my boot/root system and replaced
libraries with my own one by one, I would get 'file or directory does not exist'
when I tried to invoke a program that referenced a replaced shared library.
I will say that 'cannot find /sbin/init' was not very helpful; it was only
I could actually get *into* the system in the first place, and start changing
parameters individually that I hit upon the shared library theme.

It turns out that processing the shared libraries with 'strip -g' seems to be
working so far.  It took a *lot* of digging to find it; it was hiding in the
Slackware 'Slack.build' for glibc, which is only slightly less lengthy than
War and Peace, and only slightly more readable than Ulysses...

Now that I seem to have a floppy-based install/rescue system going, I can start
to work on a CR-ROM based system.

Hagbard