[wplug] Problems trying to make boot/root disk set

Hagbard Celine wplug at wplug.org
Sat Jul 3 18:02:27 EDT 2004

On Sat, Jul 03, 2004 at 01:41:50PM -0400, James O'Kane wrote:
> On Sat, 3 Jul 2004, it was written:
>
> > After a good deal of playing with this, I've determined that any attempt to
> > reference a shared library fails.  The shared libraries are the selfsame
> > libraries that are in use on my production systems with no problems, save
> > for stripping the debugging information for the sake of size.
>
> This is very likely your problem. You can't strip libraries because that
> removes all the nutritious library goodness. There is a flag for strip
> that can be used on libraries, but you'll have to check the manpage or
> online to find that.
>
> -james

Regarding stripping, I'm using 'objcopy --strip-debug <garble>', as recommended
by the Bootdisk HOWTO.  Is this the flag to which you refer?

I've tried 'strip -p --strip-unneeded <etc>', as recommended by the Beyond
Linux From Scratch folks.  No dice there, either.

I've also tried copying some of the smaller libraries (ld-2.3.2.so, for example)
in toto, with no stripping at all.  Even *that* implodes.  What the agfu could
it be about my libraries and/or the way I build them that allows them to work
on a hard disk partition, but not from ramdisk?  I can get somewhere if I build
busybox statically, but that still leaves me with the problem of the libraries
associated with the e2fsprogs.

The Slackware people have a working setup with busybox-0.60.5 and glibc-2.3.1,
so I know it's possible.  I can work around the glibc problem by dropping
their binaries on my rootdisk, but they use e2fsprogs-1.34 to my
e2fsprogs-1.35, and I'm hesitant to run with an e2fsprogs version downgrade.
I've had grief with that in the past.

Hoping this further info is useful,
Hagbard