[wplug] Lindows on P2P

Ghataora, Hardeep hghataora at ccac.edu
Fri Jan 30 08:18:33 EST 2004

Blah .... Lindows

I totally agree with Mike I downloaded it and tried and was not
impressed at all. For some reason (I cant remember why) I thought there
would be seemless transparent integration for people who wanted to use
Windows applications, as I've mentioned previously, I downloaded some
Win32 apps and saved them to the desktop and found it a hassle to get
them to run in the emulator. There were some vmware issues too (Ran with
vmware 4.0 on a Windows XP host) that I'd never had with any other LINUX
I'd run, meaning that when booting I got thrown to the login: prompt. I
also found Click-N-Run everywhere a bit of a pain too, on the desktop,
on the panel, in every sub-menu of the 'Lindows' menu button under
'Program Filse' (and yes, I understand this is a commercial product in
many ways).

I don't usually whine, and I know there is an incredible amount of work
to get LINUX/Windows compatibility all in one OS, but, I'm not impressed
at all. The easiest set up where I've used LINUX to run a Windows
application is within Knoppix (3.2 and 3.3) where it's pretty much
worked flawlessly.

Just my rant (haven't *really* had a chance to complain about Lindows).