[wplug] Anyone familiar with a commercial X server from Xi Graphics

Brian Sammon brians+ at cs.cmu.edu
Thu Jan 29 17:48:06 EST 2004

> I've got a request to attempt to remedy video issues by installing a
> commercial X server from XI Graphics (see quote from requester below).
> Anyone familiar with this X server? Any reason I shouldn't switch him
> to this that you know of?

If I wasn't too cheap to pay the $100, I'd put it on my laptop.
The only argument against it that I'm aware of is price, and the fact it's not
open source (for those who care).

They have a history of producing an X Server that supports hardware that
XFree86 doesn't, and supports other hardware better.

I think the money they charge goes to buying expensive developer info from
hardware companies who play hard-to-get with the OpenSource community.  (the
money also goes to pay their programming staff.)  NDAs are probably also
involved in some cases.