[wplug] eMachines?

Vanco, Don don.vanco at agilysys.com
Thu Jan 29 11:06:16 EST 2004

wplug-admin at wplug.org wrote:
> As far as laptops go, in my experience IBMs are well worth the extra
> money.
	I have had an 800MHz IBM next to a fairly identical 800MHz Compaq
and the IBM kicked it's tail in performance.  Sadly, I am now stuck with the
Compaq.

> Most dells are exactly what they claim -- "desktop
> replacements" -- if you plan on actually being mobile with it, I
> haven't seen them hold up too well.  Mostly dumb problems like
> floating pointers, keys getting stuck, etc.
	Not to mention that all but the highest models weigh a TON.  I have
a 5100 that I love the performance of... but it's a PITA to lug it.  <knock
on wood> I have not had any issues with the hardware after 12 months, but
then I also baby it far more than the company laptop that I so loathe....

> My brother has had a
> Dell Inspiron 8100 for 1.5 years, and he's had: a fried mobo,
> dead USB
> controller out of the box, and a floppy drive that stopped
> working.  You
> might not be getting cheaper parts per se, but with a Dell you
> definitely get cheaper construction.
	Ouch.
	Well, at the end of the day there are really only a few laptop
reference designers - I have heard as few as 4, but believe it to be more
like 6 - saying under 10 is a safe bet.  They're all out of Taiwan.  Not
sure if Dell uses one of these reference designs... but based on that
failure rate it seems likely.  I would not go anything other than OEM for a
laptop in a business situation - if for no other reason than the rapid
replacement channel.
	I have seen some wicked-cool laptops lately (SP-DIFF capable, fast
DVD burners, 17" screens, etc) at great prices, but I've seen way too many
"fringe laptop companies" sell gear that can't last a year to risk plunking
down the cash....

Don