[wplug] eMachines?

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Thu Jan 29 09:37:06 EST 2004

> What do you use for servers then if you have any? I used to always make my
> own servers but I found it was a waste of my time if a part went bad within
> 3 years (atleast 1 hard drive would go bad for sure in that period). With
> Dell's 4 hour response, 24x7x365x3 they will be here within 4 hours at any
> time to change parts. Up until recently I used to colo all of my equipment
> in Los Angeles. This would sure be a pain in the ass to change drives, add
> memory, etc being in Pittsburgh. With the Dell support contract they would
> go to the data center and do the changes I needed. Yes Dell is expensive
> compared to home built boxes, but I find the support I receive definitely
> worth it. I have yet to find a rack case that compares to the quality, ease
> of opening / swapping parts / and sleek design of a Dell 1750 / 2650 model.

	Interesting you bring this up. I've used a variety of different
vendors boxes, and was never really satisfied. I used to think that
specific hardware was required for each machine that I would have a
specific requirement for. I used to also build my own servers, and still
do for my own stuff, but not out of choice.

	I suggest Linux's kernel-raid, and mirrored or raid-5 disks. Your
disks will die. Expect this to be the case, and you won't lose a single
byte.

	Do a search on the Internet. 1U servers are pretty cheap these
days. Compared with new machines, a few last-year's models are pretty good
on space. They're cheap enough these days that you can have a spare or two
ready to go if something went wrong.

	Having worked for several large hosting environments, and several
high-profile website factions, I've seen alot of hardware, and I've seen
alot of hardware just fail. The good facilities would have stuff ready to
go, and have failure planned into the mix.

	It's great to have a warranty and everything, but what do you
tell your customers when their requests are spilling out on the floor
because your box is toast, and the vendor isn't there yet?

	I've been eyeing some of these outdated supermicros from xyz
Internet vendors. Some of them are cheaper than cheap workstations, and 10
of them will handle a lot of traffic.

		Just had my third cup of coffee, I'm ready to go!

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.WiFiMaps.com
drew at zhrodague.net		Location Based WiFi