[wplug] eMachines?

Benjamin Slavin bslavin_list at wavecrazy.net
Wed Jan 28 15:28:48 EST 2004

In my experience, the power supply is also a place where corners are
cut, which is integral to any file server or always-on, must-have device.

At our ISP, we run a small internal file server on an older 400MHz HP
Vectra. We have an identical machine in place as a hot backup, and
another similar machine that runs as a small database/radius/LDAP
server. They were designed to be business systems, and run without ANY
problems. I don't know what they'd cost today, but we have had these
things running OpenBSD 24/7 for about 2.5 years now, and haven't even
seen so much as a hiccup.

--Ben