[wplug] eMachines?

Wise, Jeremey jeremey.wise at agilysys.com
Tue Jan 27 08:12:02 EST 2004

Pentium 133mhz+two 10/100 $7NICs+64MBRAM+ 2-40GB IDE HDD= Linux firewall,
squid, and SAMBA server for six user office with DSL that has worked
flawlessly for over three years. The PIII with 128MB RAM Windows system that
use to be their server ran slower and was less stable. My only regret now is
that the BIOS is so old that it does not like to have blank CDs in the CD
drive and has to have them removed to POST (in the event the small UPS runs
out of power and the system shuts down). Besides that it has been smooth
sailing and shows about 40% CPU average.

The best part is that at that price I have a cold spare standing by. If that
server totally melted down I just pull the drive and put them in the standby
server.

My $.02 of how to build an SMB.

Jeremey Wise (440)-519-6006
Systems Consultant(CNE,MCSE,CSE)