[wplug] =20 in emails.

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Jan 26 15:17:57 EST 2004

John Harrold wrote:
> a friend of mine gets the wplug stuff in digest format and he asked me
> what a lot of the emails seem to have '=20' where the end of the line is
> located. for example if you go here:
>
> http://wplug.org:8080/pipermail/wplug/2004-January/009278.html
>
> i really don't know. i've noticied it on other lists to when searching
> through their archives. can anyone tell me what causes this and if there is
> something i can do to my mua (mutt) to prevent this?

That's the reason.  quoted-printable isn't quite the same as ASCII text.  It
needs to be decoded (to convert special sequences, like =20)

Look up the specs on quoted-printable to see what's going on in more detail.
If he's the source of the =20, he'll probably be better off turning off
quoted-printable in his mailer options and just using ASCII text.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies