[wplug] eMachines?

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Mon Jan 26 15:04:32 EST 2004

Sometime in January Vanco, Don assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| 	Why is a 2GHz Celeron a POS?  Or is it that eMachines are in general
| 	less than desirable?  Not knowing the brand I'd almost say that $200
| 	sounds a bit too good to be true (or at least to good to be not a
| 	stolen laptop)  I was just looking at an eMachines AMD-64 laptop (6807)
| 	- at $1500 it's hardly a give away.  Are eMachines junk or something?

i don't think he's looking at a laptop. as for the POS reference, think
packard bell ;). emachines were (are?) marked toward the lowend, check your
email and play solitaire types. as a result, it probably has a cheap
motherboard with no-name components integrated into it. my understanding is
that they don't have the upgrade options most other pc manufacturers (like
a dell). so you may only have one pci expansion slot, it will most
definitely have a win modem, perhaps no extra memory sockets, the cpu may
be soldered to the mb, cheap video card, etc.

if you just want to use it as a router, it'll probably work like a champ
though.

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E