[wplug] need a pci wireless card? give this a whirl

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Sat Jan 24 23:07:52 EST 2004

Hi,

I just wanted to confirm that the wireless pci ethernet card
that Bill Moran is selling work in Linux. He's still has a
few more pci and pcmcia wireless cards left...
http://www.wplug.org:8080/pipermail/wplug-market/2004-January/000048.html

It took a while for me to find drivers that work but once I did
everything came together just nicely.

lspci identifies the card as...
00:0e.0 Network controller: Linksys: Unknown device 8201 (rev 11)

Don't waste your time attempting to use the orinico drivers or the
belkin drivers like some newgroups posters might want you to try.
Take a good look at the card and notice the chip is made by some
folks that calls themselves "admtek"

Then go to this site...
http://www.admtek.com.tw/download/ADM8211.htm

If you've got rh7.3 or 8.0 they have rpms for you.

The system I was working with is Fedora Core 1 running the
2.4.22-1.2149.nptl kernel so I moved on to download the tar.gz
file (rev 1.03).
Unzip, untar, make, cp 8211.o to
/lib/modules/2.4.22-1.2149.nptl/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/
insmod 8211.o (ignore the whine about "tainting the kernel")
and reboot
kudzu detects like a champ
Now my new gameroom system is up on the net!

Enjoy!

Beth Lynn

PS As I was hacking our this email, low and beyond this mail drops
into my inbox...
http://www.wplug.org:8080/pipermail/wplug/2004-January/009325.html
Shawn- my first guess it to look at the hardware carefully. Just
cuz lspci thinks it's a linksys, that doesn't mean it's a linksys.