[wplug] post gazette article response

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Jan 23 14:54:37 EST 2004

Drew from Zhrodague wrote:
>>How about "technophiles" rather than geeks, and be sure to copy the
>>editor.  It would be nice to see this response published on the letters
>>page.
>
> 	Maybe also a brief discription of the concept of FUD -- Fear,
> Uncertainty, Doubt, and how it relates.

I wouldn't do anything like this until we have a better rapport with
her.  Keep in mind that she is the staff technical writer for the PG.
If she learns that we're a valuable source of information, she'll start
coming to us, and she'll have more articles to write in the future.

Besides, no matter how good of an article on Linux she wrote the first
time, _one_ Linux article isn't going to be nearly as useful as a year
long history of pro-Linux articles will be.

> 	Perhaps also whatever statistics about percentage of the Internet
> which uses Linux as servers. As we all know, this stuff isn't new, and
> it's been around for a while.

She already has those.  I did the legwork and gave her the numbers.  It's
part of the reason that I (and possibly others) were so upset initially.
As technical people, we like statistics (% of webservers using Apache,
#CERT reports on Windows compared to Linux, etc) but I guess it just
wasn't what she was looking for.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies