[wplug] iRiver iFP under Linux

Michael E Uhl meu102 at comcast.net
Fri Jan 23 10:27:43 EST 2004

I have a couple of questions, just to clarify some things.  First, you
said that you upgraded the player's firmware to the latest USB drivers.
I think you meant UMS, and I just want to make sure.  To access the
player as a USB mass storage device, you must have the UMS firmware
installed on the player.

Second, what kernel are you running?  I recently upgraded my Debian
system to the 2.6.1 kernel only to find out that I couldn't mount my
iRiver player.  The solution was to apply the patch found in this
message:

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=6902731

to my kernel source and recompile.  After that I was able to mount the
device normally.

Finally, if neither of the first two items resolved your problem, here's
how I go about mounting the player on my system.  I don't automount
setup, so I typically mount devices from the command line.  To minimize
what I have to type I have the following line in my fstab file.

/dev/sdc   /mnt/ifp   vfat   user,rw,noauto,sync   0   0

which allows the player to be mounted with the following command:

mount /mnt/ifp

>From what reading I've done, it's my understanding that you can either
mount the device without giving a partition (i.e. /dev/sdc - like what's
in my fstab entry) or you can mount the fourth partition on the device
(i.e. /dev/sdc4) and either way will work.

One last note, since you said that just move to Linux, your device
probably won't be /dev/sdc.  What device it ends up being is all
dependent on how many other SCSI/USB device you have and in what order
they're found by the kernel.  You can find out what device your system
thinks the player is by looking at the output of the 'dmesg' command
after you connect the player.  The output from dmesg should look
something like this:

hub 1-0:1.0: new USB device on port 2, assigned address 5
  Vendor: iRiver    Model: iFP Mass Driver   Rev: 1.00
SCSI device sdc: 256000 512-byte hdwr sectors (131 MB)
SCSI device sdc: drive cache: write through
 sdc: sdc1 sdc2 sdc3 sdc4
Attached scsi disk sdc at scsi5, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
Attached scsi generic sg3 at scsi5, channel 0, id 0, lun 0,  type 0
WARNING: USB Mass Storage data integrity not assured
USB Mass Storage device found at 5

Hope this info helps you!

-Michael