[wplug] post gazette article response

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Thu Jan 22 22:54:53 EST 2004

Hello,

An article in today's Post Gazette about growing interest in Linux
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04022/264254.stm

Even though your fearless leader was interviewed, WPLUG did not
get a plug in this article. Maybe some other time.

This article has already created somewhat of a stir on the list
so I felt that it would be best if some sort of a response from
the group. I've drafted something but I wanted to run this by
you folks since I wanted to make sure the opinions expressed
were those of the group. Also my grammar and writing style is not
the best so I'd like suggestions in that respect too. If you
would like to submit your input privately, please email
bethlynn at wplug.org

I'll be finalizing something over the weekend so please get
back to me before then if you wish to comment. The intension
is that a letter response will be submitted in email and US
mail.

Thanks for your help,

Beth Lynn

Dear Ms Corilyn Shropshire:

The many members of Western PA Linux Users Group (WPLUG) have
read your recent article "Linux creep: Free operating system keeps
gaining converts among  tech-savvy -- and mainstream users"

As the Chair of the board of WPLUG, I speak for the group.
We applaud that Linux is receiving local media coverage. As the
title of your article suggests, Linux interest is growing well
beyond just geeks. Since many Linux applications are adapting
the look and feel of expensive Windows software, it's getting
easier for corporations, schools and individuals to make a switch.
With all these new users of Linux surely that will motivate new
Linux applications, more corporations backing Linux, new local
Linux user groups, and more computer professionals focusing their
careers on Linux. To quote IBM's recent ad campaign "Linux is
growing. The future is open."

Thank you for this opportunity to let Pittsburgh know about
the local Linux community. WPLUG continues to welcome you to
check out Linux for yourself. We hold meetings two Saturdays
each month. Please check our website for time, date, topic,
and details. http://www.wplug.org

It was a pleasure to make your acquaintance. If there is anything
that I or WPLUG can do for you please let us know.

Sincerely,

Beth Lynn Eicher and
Western PA Linux Users Group