[wplug] ESMTP

Duncan Hutty duncan at hutty.com
Thu Jan 22 13:58:52 EST 2004

During Bill's excellent talk on Postfix I mentioned esmtp (the program not the protocol) as a solution for a 'send-only' MTA.

http://esmtp.sourceforge.net

It seems to be for those who do not want to deal with a full MTA and its issues and use a mail client that does not include mail-sending functionality (eg mutt)

I used it because I had only to edit 3 lines in its config file and 1 line in .muttrc to have the result I needed.

This struck me as easier than learning enough about sendmail (the distro's default) or Some Other MTA to make sure I hadn't done something Stupid or worse, Wrong.

Hope it saves someone else some time.
--
Duncan Hutty