[wplug] More upsetting Linux press

J Aaron Farr farra at apache.org
Thu Jan 22 15:39:03 EST 2004

Quoting "Teodorski, Chris" <cteodorski at mahoningcounty.org>:

> http://www.cnn.com/2004/TECH/ptech/01/22/linux.desktop.reut/index.html
>
> Searching for a Windows desktop killer
> Linux still miles behind Microsoft
> Thursday, January 22, 2004 Posted: 11:02 AM EST (1602 GMT)
>
> NEW YORK (Reuters) -- As never before, corporate customers are turning to
> Linux software instead of Microsoft Windows to run big business operations.
>
> Now, if only they could get the word processor's basic "cut and paste"
> feature to work.
>
> What the heck is that second line all about???

That second line is all about when I have issues "killing" from an emacs buffer
and then pasting into ANY other application.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it
doesn't.

Sure, if you're strictly using KDE, then applications tend to play nicely with
one another.  Likewise if you strictly use Gnome.  But I've often had issues
with cut and paste between apps when I start mixing and matching.

There's other issues about consistency in key bindings, look and feel, dialogs,
etc.  On the one hand, this can sometime be seen as a "feature," but to new
users coming from Windows or Apple, it can feel very unpolished and unfinished.

So I personally don't think it is too harsh of a criticism.

---
  jaaron      <http://jadetower.org>