[wplug] linux embedded appliances?

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Jan 22 13:02:39 EST 2004

Drew from Zhrodague wrote:
> 	http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/04022/264254.stm
>
> 	I think this is the story someone was talking about.

*hang's head*  I failed ... I made it my goal to ensure that she wrote a
correct and accurate article, and she filled it with MS FUD and nonsense.

> 	Ian James seems to have his own head jammed into his ass, but then
> again we know that not much (any at all?) of Red Square Systems' business
> is Linux. They seem hell bent on charging their customers as much as
> absolutely possible, whether RS benefits from this or not.
>
> 	"I never sit down with customers whose burning question of the
> moment is whether we should go to Linux,"

That's funny, I sat down with a customer who asked this question in December,
and I'm supposed to meet with them agian in Febuary.

> said Iam James, chief executive
> officer of IT consultant Red Square Systems. "You can save money by
> avoiding licensing costs, but there aren't as many applications. With
> Microsoft products, it's easier to find more qualified people to deal with
> them."
>
> 	Obviously, their definition of "qualified" means Microsoft
> Certified. I woner what applications he's talking about that don't run on
> Linux -- Citrix?

I am so pissed at Corilyn.  I'm debating whether I should send her a
nastygram telling her just what I think of this drivel.

> 	I'm not Anti-Microsoft by any means, but when you ask an
> uninformed Microsoft-only vendor about Linux, you're gonna get some FUD.

Well, I _am_ anti-Microsoft, but my reasons for disliking the article have
nothing to do with that.  It has everything to do with favoring the
Microsoft people's comments and relegating our comments to a pile of quick
one-offs.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies