[wplug] Don't be stupid - like me

Robert E. Coutch robert.coutch at verizon.net
Wed Jan 21 23:00:36 EST 2004

If you ever download the free Qtopia development package from Trolltech and
install it on your system be sure to skip the following steps and jump to the
LAST ONE instead !!

Step:
------

1  -  Read the README file and edit .bashrc to add paths to the Qtopia
libraries.

2  -  Open an X-console and try out the Qtopia frame buffer device by loading
Qtopia into it.

3  -  Think - Hey, that's real cool. I wonder if it will work in a plain frame
buffer console...... hmmm, nope!  I'll open another X session to just a
console and try it there.

4  -  Ooooops!  KDE is starting in the new session, its already open on screen
:0 - That's not what I wanted! I gotta remeber this is SuSE and not Red Hat
(xinit is set up differently).

5  -  Hey, KDE is all messed up, the buttons look wrong and I keep getting
errors.  Maybe it's because I have two sessions running.  I'll close them
both.

6  -  Restart X and log back in to see......ERRORS and the buttons look wrong.
Dang, I must have fragged by KDE config files.

7  -  I'll just delete the config files -  lets see I'll just "cd .kde" and
then I'll grep for the files......ahhh, there they are, I'll just clear that
directory  " rm -fr * "  --- OH NO !!!!  I wasn't in that directory! I just
deleted ALL my kde files.

8  -  Oh well, damage done. That should definately clear the configs. I'll
just start KDE and.......  ITS STILL MESSED UP.

9  -  ......spend hour or so moving files around to the point of almost wiping
my whole home directory out including years of digital photos and assorted
mp3 files........start thinking of how Gnome or WindowMaker will look as my
new desktop.......

------- Break for sleep - wake the next day ---------

10  -  Consider the fact that this all started after I installed
Qtopia......... hey, wait a sec.  Isn't KDE based on QT same as Qtopia?

11  -  Remove path to Qtopia libraries in .bashrc

12  -  Start KDE and - POOF - everything works. Except that all configurations
need reentered.  KDE was loading the wrong libraries.

13  -  Create a start up script for the Qtopia frame buffer that assigns the
paths local to that shell.

Laugh and Learn from my stupidity.  What was I thinking?