[wplug] (no subject)

Mark Dalrymple wplug at badgertronics.com
Wed Jan 21 14:19:56 EST 2004

> I'm working on my communities website.
> They want a slew of webapps, including a bulletin board, email,
> amailing list, photo album (gallery), etc.  We're looking to make a
> unified login, but I don't know where to begin.

Check out OpenACS: http://openacs.org , gentle introduction at
http://macedition.com/bolts/bolts_20030207.php . It's got all of these
apps and a unified user and permissions model.  There's also an
edit-this-page style CMS, a templating system, and internationalization
support.  There's an active online community, and there's an
IRC channel (#opencas) on irc.freenode.net, where WPLUG has their IRC
channel.

The downside is it's not based on Apache or MySql, so hosting and being
able to hire warm bodies is alittle harder to find.

wplug.org uses openacs, and also uses Apache for serving user pages
and handling Mailman (and as the reverse proxy for everything).  We're
using the unified login and permission model to grant people privileges
for maintaiing the meetings and news pages.  We're using the templating system
to put the 'next meeting' header and navbar on each page.

Cheers,
++Mark Dalrymple.  markd at badgertronics.com.  http://badgertronics.com
  "i am the CODE TURKEY"
      -- rzolf