[wplug] Zaurus UPGRADED

Bryce Lynch bryce at telerama.lm.com
Sun Jan 18 17:47:30 EST 2004

On Sat, Jan 17, 2004 at 06:19:17PM -0500, Robert Coutch wrote:

> ========== Where'd you get 3.13 ? The developers site?
> ========== They only show 3.10 on the MyZaurus website.

http://www.zaurususergroup.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=UpDownload&file=index&req=viewdownloaddetails&lid=120&ttitle=Sharp_5500_v3.13_Ospack.zip

I've been running it for about three weeks now.

> ========== SSH is probably my most used tool but I couldn't get it working
> yet.

What have you tried?

> =========== So that's what happened! I was wondering about the calendar
> blowing up.  I've been keeping backups before any major changes so if
> something goes wrong, I just restore to the previous state. That's how I got
> my calander working again.  I'll follow your advice.

I about went nuts over that problem, but when I found that fix on the
Sharp forums everything started going right again.

> ============ Yes, but I feel more Linux-y when I use ext2.

Okay.

> I don't know why every device that runs on batteries isn't using a
> journal type file system.  I've fragged my Zaurus a few times after

I don't, either.  Then again I've never tried to make a system that
small.

> it froze up and required the battery switch to be flipped (not the reset

Ouch!

> ============= I backup up all my PIM data on Qtopia-desktop for Linux,
> via a backup, by copying the files directly AND sync'd with Outlook on my work
> laptop.

I still can't get that working.  I eventually gave up.

> Oh the irony of creating a Linux based PDA with NO LINUX DESKTOP SOFTWARE !!!!
> Didn't they think that 99% of the people buying Zauruses would be Linux users?

I still haven't forgiven them for this.  Apparently the thought never
crossed their collective mind that this would be so.

> ============ I gotta find it and see what the differences are between 3.10 and
> 3.13. I'm guessing mostly bug fixes.

Quite a few.  However, adding shadows to the lettering still makes them
illegible.

The Doctor

--
Information security begins with _you_.  Help combat terrorism by encrypting
your communications!  Public key : http://drwho.virtadpt.net/gpg.key