[wplug] Zaurus UPGRADED

Bryce Lynch bryce at telerama.lm.com
Fri Jan 16 23:31:01 EST 2004

On Thu, Jan 15, 2004 at 11:45:26PM -0500, Robert Coutch wrote:

> I downloaded the latest ROM (V 3.10) from Sharp to try in my Zaurus.

The latest is v3.13 - at least that's what I'm running on my SL5500.

> They have revised the filesystem layout but it still doesn't make sense.

That is annoying.  The best way to learn how it's laid out is to SSH in
and just look around in the directory tree.

> Wireless setup and use has improved and includes a taskbar utility to turn
> the card on/off as well as show signal strength and network info.

One of the nicer features - once I figured out what it was it made
things much easier.

> Some of my old favorites (VNC, Kismet, ZSafe, OpenSSH) have not been made to

I've gotten Kismet and OpenSSH to work on v3.13.  Just a word of warning
- you'll have to change the permissions on /home/zaurus/Documents/OpenSSH to
owner zaurus, group qpe, otherwise when you change to the month-at-a-time view
in the Calendar application, it'll crash on you.  Check this out:

http://community.zaurus.com/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=8&group_id=5&atid=109

Have you ever tried Keyring?

> I had to format my SD-RAM card back to FAT because I couldn't figure what
> user/permissions to assign to the ext2 file system that was on the card.
> I kept getting errors about write permission (I'll fix this later).

You can safely keep it formatted as FAT without trouble.  You can even
install applications to it.

> I can no longer sync with my Linux (SuSE 8.2) system because Qtopia-desktop
> is >no longer compatible with the new ROM.

That is really annoying.  Instead of running an FTP service for
synching, it's now a SMB connection running what I think is a
stripped-down version of Samba.  If you plug it into your cradle and
bring up the ethernet-over-USB link, portscan your Zaurus to see what
else is running.

> Sharp does offer updates for Windows users (isn't that special?) to allow
> sync with Outlook.

The pain from that one hasn't stopped yet.  Sheesh.

> I can at least drag and drop files to it from Konqueror using the smb://
> protocol. The PIM/PDA programs no longer use XML format for data storage
> but are now using a database of some sort.

Even more annoying when you have to re-type all of your contact
information and associated notes by hand.  Sharp lost a lot of my
business for that one.

> If you want to know more, tell me.
> I'm going to give the new ROM a good test trial before making it permanant.

Try v3.13 of the ROM image.

I've been considering running OpenZaurus for a while now, maybe I'll
install it and write up a review.

The Doctor

--
Information security begins with _you_.  Help combat terrorism by encrypting
your communications!  Public key : http://drwho.virtadpt.net/gpg.key