[wplug] Introduction and AFS question

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Wed Jan 14 22:34:08 EST 2004

Hi everybody.  I am new to this list and a somewhat new linux user.  I'm
running Redhat 9 on both an IBM T23 laptop and a mail/webserver in my
closet.  Though I only recently became an open-source [ user | advocate ],
I am embracing the movement thoroughly.

My Big Problem right now is getting an OpenAFS client installed on the
above-mentioned laptop.  Though I'm running Redhat, I decided (early on,
however wisely or unwisely)  to brew a custom, minimal kernel, and now the
prepackaged RPMs do not run correctly.  I tried building my own AFS-kernel
(using the howto on this page:
http://wwwx.cs.unc.edu/~sparkst/howto/afs.php ) but I ran into a snag.
When running the configure script, which detects system settings and
customizes the makefile accordingly, I got the error:  "configure: error:
no available sys_call_table access method"

A cursory websearch has shown that this problem does indeed exist for [a
few] other users, but I couldn't find a solution.  Has anyone here
installed an openAFS client successfully on a homebrewed kernel?

Or, barring that, does anyone have any ideas?

-Brandon