[wplug] What do I edit XF86Config with?

Gary Morrow gary.morrow at ansys.com
Wed Jan 14 14:47:09 EST 2004

Jennifer Landefeld wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> I think I've found the config file in question but, all of the sources
> I've found for what to add/change/delete, seem to assume I know what
> I'm editing it WITH. I know this is a sad newbie question but how do I
> edit this file? Can someone walk me through it?
>
> Thanks,
> Jenn

There are 2 popular Unix editors: vi and emacs.

Emacs has an easier learning curve since it's a true full screen editor
(when you
press the keys, text is entered into the file).  Special functions are
performed
by Ctrl + key and Meta + key combinations.

http://www.physics.sunysb.edu/itp/computing/doc/emacs-intro.html
http://www.bsross.com/Courses/Course%20Information/Programming%20Handouts/emacs.html

Vi is somewhat less intuitive for the new user. The initial state is
"command mode"
where the keyboard keys perform special functions.  Insert mode must be
entered
before the keyboard will generate text.
http://www.ussg.iu.edu/edcert/session3/editors/vi.html

My advice to new users: Often when logging onto a Unix platform for the
first time,
vi will be the only editor available on your path.  You should be able
to perform at
least simple editing tasks (such as setting up your path so emacs works)
with it.

Gary

--
Gary Morrow
UNIX Systems Engineering and CASE Tools.
gary.morrow at ansys.com
724-514-2978