[wplug] What do I edit XF86Config with?

Jennifer Landefeld jlandefeld at paperprintdesign.com
Wed Jan 14 14:41:18 EST 2004

On Wednesday, January 14, 2004, at 02:23  PM, Bill Moran wrote:

> Jennifer Landefeld wrote:
>> Hey all,
>> I think I've found the config file in question but, all of the
>> sources I've found for what to add/change/delete, seem to assume I
>> know what I'm editing it WITH. I know this is a sad newbie question
>> but how do I edit this file? Can someone walk me through it?
>
> If you don't have X working yet, then you won't have access to the
> misc.
> GUI text editors available.  Depending on what distribution you have
> will
> determine what editors you have available, but you almost definately
> have
> vi.  I don't know of any unix-like system that ships without vi.
>
> vi is a bit strange at first, because it's a very old editor (although
> still a very good one) and it was developed prior to the mouse.  It's
> a bit frustrating to learn at first, because it depends on certain key
> sequences that you are simply supposed to remember.  The most important
> is ":q!" which exits without saving (if you mess things up too bad).
>
> Here's what you do:
> 1) Make a backup of your config before doing anything else
>    cp XF86Config XF86Config.bak
> 2) Read this online tutorial:
>
> https://engineering.purdue.edu/ECN/Resources/KnowledgeBase/Docs/
> 20020202121609
> 3) Have at it.
> 4) Send email to the list with specific questions if you get stuck.
>
> --
> Bill Moran
> Potential Technologies
> http://www.potentialtech.com

Actually, I'm fine with vi. Have actually used that quite a bit for
other stuff. Have just never delved into config files much so didn't
know if that was the correct tool for the job.

What it isn't currently letting me do is make a copy of the config file
so I don't munge the original file.

I'm out of time on trying to fix this before class today so I'll try to
make headway on it tomorrow morning and see where it gets me.

Thanks for all the input. Greatly appreciated.

-Jenn