[wplug] another newbie question - video stuff on X31 - rh9

Bryon Gill bgtrio at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 14 13:42:07 EST 2004

It sounds like you've got a higher resolution for your screen than your
projector can handle.  Many newer laptops use a very high resolution like
1450x1050.  Simply changing the resolution will very likely
solve your problem.

Try pressing the Control, Alt and Plus keys at the same time, see if
another (virtual) screen resolution is picked.  If there are other valid
screen resolutions that were configured for X, it will cycle through them.
If not you may have to muck with the configuration utilities or even the
XF86Config file.

On redhat, you can use redhat-config-xfree86 to change your default
resolution if you want to use a resolution your projector can handle,
assuming that is the problem.

Finally, if you make any changes to the XF86Config file, be CERTAIN you
first make a backup of the file somewhere else, even if you think the
changes you're making are minor and will be easy to remember.  This
command will make a copy in your home directory:

cp /etc/X11/XF86Config ~/

Good luck,
Bryguy