[wplug] Real Player or Helix player on redhat 9?

Procario, Michael Michael.Procario at science.doe.gov
Wed Jan 14 11:45:05 EST 2004

I have been trying to get either Helix player or Real Player running on
Redhat 9. I have had some success with Helix but it has taken some
workarounds. I have had no luck with Real Player.

I installed the Real Player rpm available from
http://207.188.7.150/14ccfc86745401bf5216/unix/rp8_linux20_libc6_i386_cs2_rp
<http://207.188.7.150/14ccfc86745401bf5216/unix/rp8_linux20_libc6_i386_cs2_r
pm>

It appears to Real Player 8. After the install I can find it, but if I run
it  either form the command line or from Mozilla nothing happens.  No window
appears, so sound is heard. A ps does show that it is running.

I then tried Helix player which is a quasi open source version supported by
Real. I downloaded the binary. I untarred it into /usr/local/HelixPlayer.
The directions say that I should change into the directory where it is
located and run ./hxplay. This brings up the player and it will play a file
that I have downloaded. Giving the full path /usr/local/HelixPlayer/hxplay
does not work. It says it cannot find /hxplay.bin. Hxplay is actually a
script. It runs ./hxplay.bin. If I hardcode the path of hxplay.bin in the
script hxplay it crashes with a blizzard of error messages.  It also does
not work when called from Firebird or Mozilla.

Has anyone gotten either of these players to work well?

--

Mike Procario