[wplug] ALSA Oddities

Christopher Galik galik at ex5.galiksy.com
Tue Jan 13 12:40:45 EST 2004

I run SuSE 9.0 on a T-Bird 1.4GHz, and a C-Media 8738 onboard sound
device.  I use ALSA 1.0.1's cmipci driver for it. However, every time I
restart X (generally to log out of KDE and log back in again), I hear no
sound output from my sound card.  I checked the mixer settings and they're
all OK.  The only way I have found to regain output from the sound system
is to do

modprobe -r snd-cmipci && modprobe snd-cmipci

Anyone else experienced this problem?  I use Kernel 2.6.1 right now, but
this problem existed in 2.4.21 as well so don't automatically say that
that's the problem. =)  I use KDE 3.2B2, but I've tried it in a
plain old vanilla X session with nothing but an XTerm running, as
well as in FVWM2.  Thanks all for your help in advance!

Regards,
-C.

--
 Christopher Galik, A+CSP <chris at cardiactelecom.com>
 Cardiac Telecom Corp. -- 800.355.2594 x144