[wplug] DWL-650 Wireless NIC

Brian Roberts ch at shot1.org
Fri Jan 9 12:24:53 EST 2004

Patrick Weber wrote:

>>I had a great 16 bit card that worked awesome, but not very durable when
>>sitting at the bottom of a book bag.   I picked up a new dwl650 "g"
>>model and could not for the life of me get it to work under Linux and or
>>FreeBSD with the expirimental drivers
>>

>D-link apparently changed their cards from the old 16bit to the 32bit
>Cardbus version without changing any product ID's or anything.  This is
>especially confusing when both the old and new cards are on the same shelf
>with no way to tell them apart unless you are VERY observant to the boxes.
>
>I'm 95% sure that I have the older 16bit card.  How did you get that one
>working? What driver did you use?
>
>Thanks
>-pat

I believe I had the 16 bit version minus the + ,   In FreeBSD wi0 and
wlan needed to be compiled in ther kernel.    Stock Redhat 9 and Suse
kernels picked it up and loaded the prism modules.   The Redhat install
even found it and had it configurable as eth1 during the install.    I
believe that the linux-wlan-ng package is what had the code for it.
http://www.linux-wlan.com/linux-wlan/

Brian