[wplug] dumb question of the day? how do I name a machine in rh9?

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Thu Jan 8 16:56:27 EST 2004

> > Turns out the question was even dumber than I thought at
> > first. This is
> > what I get for coming from the Mac part of the world -- I'm used to
> > actually naming the *machine* itself which is what shows on the
> > network. There is actually a similar but longer name that gets
> > registered in the DHCP database of course. I am precisely in the
> > process of getting the requested name registered with our facilities
> > for the DHCP route.
>
> 	Actually, if it's what it sounds like it's pretty standard fare -
> "machine name" (i.e. hostname) -vs- FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name)
> My machine is lappydappydoo but it's FQDN is lappydappydoo.agilysys.com -
> some internal networks can get even more convoluted than that....
>
> 	In an interesting move I have been asked not to generate any machine
> names with "crap" in them.  I deal with a lot of Windoze machines, and had a
> bad habit calling them things like "vanco_crap_box"... apparently our NT
> SysAdmins (ha! oxymoron there...) took offense.....  So I now use "carp".

	Y'know, you could also edit /etc/sysconfig/network, and put just
the hostname in there. Usually I edit /sbin/dhclients-script so that it
doesn't mutilate my /etc/resolv.conf, and specify the domain there.

		Hi all.

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.WiFiMaps.com
drew at zhrodague.net		Location Based WiFi