[wplug] dumb question of the day? how do I name a machine in rh9?

Vanco, Don don.vanco at agilysys.com
Thu Jan 8 16:03:30 EST 2004

wplug-admin at wplug.org wrote:
> Thanks Don,
>
> Turns out the question was even dumber than I thought at
> first. This is
> what I get for coming from the Mac part of the world -- I'm used to
> actually naming the *machine* itself which is what shows on the
> network. There is actually a similar but longer name that gets
> registered in the DHCP database of course. I am precisely in the
> process of getting the requested name registered with our facilities
> for the DHCP route.

	Actually, if it's what it sounds like it's pretty standard fare -
"machine name" (i.e. hostname) -vs- FQDN (Fully Qualified Domain Name)
My machine is lappydappydoo but it's FQDN is lappydappydoo.agilysys.com -
some internal networks can get even more convoluted than that....

	In an interesting move I have been asked not to generate any machine
names with "crap" in them.  I deal with a lot of Windoze machines, and had a
bad habit calling them things like "vanco_crap_box"... apparently our NT
SysAdmins (ha! oxymoron there...) took offense.....  So I now use "carp".

Don