[wplug] Dual Boot 2000

Vanco, Don don.vanco at agilysys.com
Thu Jan 8 10:31:33 EST 2004

wplug-admin at wplug.org wrote:
> I would like to install Fedora in dual boot configuration on
> a system that
> already has Windows 2000 pro installed.
>
> Does Fedora's install program perform the disk repartitioning that is
> required?  If not, how can I do it prior to running the
> Fedora install?  The
> PC currently has two partitions, one for Win2000 and one for
> some sort of
> Win2000 recovery.

	Provided your partitioning has adequate room somewhere for Fedora to
install you will simply have to tell it to use a given partition (if they
are not blank).  If you can boot 2000 and fdisk the drive that you'll be
installing on and remove all (non-2000 required) partitions the installer
should be able to partition / install automagically without further
intervention from you.
	If you're new to installing /running Fedora be sure to read up on
the user groups re: updating systems and making them broken.  In a nutshell,
the default Fedora repository is constantly getting hammered and therefore
is unreliable (which leads to failed updates which leads to seg faults and
broken gnome - at least on every box I've loaded in the last month).  Fedora
sucks right now if you're a newb - find a closer mirror and edit your
up2date/yum/apt repository stuff accordingly.

YMMV
Don