[wplug] replacing text within full website

Gentgeen gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Mon Jan 5 22:39:25 EST 2004

First for the background info --

I have been working on a new website for the school that I teach at.
The work has been done on a headless machine named KINGPIN within my
home network.  KINGPIN has 2 nics, one set to get its address via a DHCP
and the other has a static IP for my home network.  KINGPIN is a little
machine, 120MHZ, 64MB RAM - not exactly a production server.  I'm
getting ready to take it into work and set it up internally (not for
production yet, just local access) so other teachers and admin can have
a look, help proof-read, offer suggestions, etc.

Now for the questions --

1)  I'm thinking that I can take it in, plug the ethernet cable into the
nic setup for DHCP, get the IP from the school network, and be off and
running serving the webpages.  Does anyone see any problems with that?
Will I need to change any setting?  Should I turn on/off any particular
services?  I really don't want to cause any problems with the school
network.  The sys-admin and I are friend, I want to keep it that way.
:-)

2)  When I do move it to production, I will need to change any of the
links on the webpages from "http://kingpin/" to "http://www.foo.bar"  I
tried my best to keep them to a minimum, but a few cgi scripts need full
URL links.  the website consists of the servers root directory
(/var/www/html/) and 5 sub-directories.  Spread throughout are about
15-20 links that would need changed.  Of course I could go though and
check every page, then change them by hand with a little help from
'bluefish' and 'find...replace' action.  But I was wondering if anyone
knew of an easier way.  My guess is some kind of script with using
'grep'.  My script writing skills reflect my DOS BATCH file days, and I
have not had the easiest time learning to master grep, so I would
appreciate any help you can give me.

Once things go public, I'll be sure to give you all credit, and the URL
so you can see the work.

Thanks for the help,
Kevin