[wplug] Webserver having trouble serving images (2)

Kuzman Ganchev kuzman at sccs.swarthmore.edu
Mon Jan 5 17:24:52 EST 2004

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 03:00:10PM -0500, Russ Schneider wrote:
> Ok, I think I know the problem now, but I still don't have a solution.
>
> It's a DNS issue I'm guessing.
>
> I have two machines: dell and sony.
> When I type in (from dell) www.sugapablo.net in my browser, it's SLOW.
> When I type in (from dell) sony.sugapablo.net it's perfectly fine.
>
> Now why is this?  I'm sure I messed something up, but what?

What does host do with and without -T for each of www.sugapablo.net and
sony.sugapablo.net.

> Note: I have a router which DHCP's each machine an IP address.  Each
> machine has a reserved IP.

I've got a similar problem with a Gigafast router. The deal, I
found out is that it lists itself as a DNS server, and works quickly as
such, but only does DNS over UDP. My browser (and almost every other
program I've tried) does DNS over TCP, so it has to connect to the
router, be told to go away, then connect through the router to the real
DNS server. This is a real pain, and I'm probably going to throw the
Gigafast router off the roof of some building and then dispose of the
pieces in various disparate ways, and get a _not_so_braindead_ router.

Kuzman