[wplug] Games on Linux ...

Russ Schneider russ at sugapablo.com
Mon Jan 5 15:12:49 EST 2004

On Mon, 5 Jan 2004, Bill Moran wrote:

> From: http://www.potentialtech.com/jmoran/linuxgames.html

"Please understand the implications of this experiment. I took a given
computer (that was already paid for) and made it perform better by
replacing expensive Microsoft software with a free Linux implementation.
It makes me wonder how much money businesses could save by switching to
Linux."

I can cite numerous examples of the above statement.

Just last week, I dusted off my old Sony Vaio I bought in like 1996.  It's
a Pentium 200Mhz machine with 64MB RAM (upgraded from 32) and even had a
sticker on it that said "Designed for Windows 95".

I installed Debian on it to try Debian out.  Liked it so much, and saw
that it was running great that I bought a router and it's now my home
webserver serving up all my music and personal web pages.  Runs great with
apache, postgresql, wu-ftp, php, etc.  AWStats is loaded and configuring
all the traffic.  All I need to do is put in a wireless NIC so I can shove
it in the attic.

Load average is low, always has plenty of memory to spare...heck it's a
perfectly productive machine now.

Gotta love it. :)

--
[ Russ Schneider (a.k.a. Sugapablo)     ]
[ http://www.sugapablo.com <--music     ]