[wplug] Off Topic: Panther and iDVD

William Lavin wlavin02 at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 3 10:58:33 EST 2004

Bet Lynn and others,

Just checked my machines.  One is running OS X 10.1.5 and the other is
OS X 10.2.6.  in both - in the Finder click on "Go", then
"Applications". On my machines - iDVD2 appears on the second page
between Applescript and Mail.

I updated my iBook to Panther from 10.1 but it doesn't have iDVD.  The
Panther update manual says that iDVD isn't included with OS X but may be
installed.  I assume that means iLife.  May not make the Installfest
(Nov 15 / Jan 10?) - so may not be able to help with a disk.

If anyone is upgrading to Panther - there is a problem when upgrading
from 10.1.x.  Many people have had problems with system crashes and
unstable systems when they used the "Upgrade" option.  You should either
do a clean Install (format the HD and install) or use the "Archive and
Install".  The latter puts the old applicaions, user folder and
preferences in a folder at the root of your HD.  You need to move the
stuff out of that folder testing as you go.

You probably can get the needed info from the Apple web site.  Also you
can buy MacWorlds Total Panther magazine from a newstand ($9.95) and
check pages 16, 18 and 19.  I upgraded my iBook using "Upgrade" before
hearing about it - no problems so far.

iDVD cannot be downloaded from Apple because of it's size.  The other
three programs on iLife can be downloaded.  Don't know why it isn't
included on the Panther disks.

Bill