[wplug] SuSE Questions

Benjamin Slavin bslavin at bit24.net
Fri Jan 2 21:50:00 EST 2004

Sorry for not providing additional info.
Replies below, but some content has been removed from the original
messages to cut down on bulk.

Robert Coutch wrote:

>>I've been making use of the past few days to configure a "Media Server" for
>>my A/V setup. I decided to use SuSE since I wanted something that was easy
>>to setup and that my girlfriend wouldn't mind  using.
>>

>You didn't mention what version of SuSE or any specifics about the computer.

I'm running SuSE 9.0 from a network install. The system is running on a
motherboard pulled from an upgraded Compaq Presario, and has a 900MHz
AMD processor, with 256MB of PC100 RAM.

The video card is an ATI card which I had laying around, and does not
provide any 3D acceleration, according to YaST.

>>[...]
>>
>>1. One of the network adapters on the system is USB (due to lack of PCI
>>slots). It works without any problems, except that durring startup the
>>network tries to start itself before hotplug is initiated... therefore the
>>network device doesn't d exist when it tries to run. I tried to move the /
>>etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S05network link to /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S08network (hotplug is
>>07), but at each reboot or after installing new packages, it appears to
>>"fix" itself and put it back at 05. Is there any way to make this more
>>permanent? I looked in the YaST runlevel editor, but it doesn't allow
>>control over the startup order, so far as I can tell.
>>

>I'd just leave this alone unless it's causing a noticable delay in boot time.
>This is the same situation when using a laptop with a PCMCIA or CardBus
>network card.

Leaving it alone isn't a working solution, as I have to su to root and
run the network setup manually.
There is no delay, it's actually faster, because -it just skips the
network card-, since USB support isn't loaded, and doesn't initiate DHCP.

Is there any way that I can force the rc.d scripts to run in a different
order? Any changes Ive made manually get overwritten.

I'll look into the other stuff in the next week or so, but thanks in
advance for the other answers.

--Ben