[wplug] laptop decommisioned

Rick Smith rick at rbsmith.com
Fri Jan 2 08:56:29 EST 2004

WPLUG'ers,

Yesterday I decommisioned my laptop, which served me well for 6 1/2 years.
It's a Toshiba 205CDS powered by a P100.  It's main OS was Linux from my
first day of possession.

It started out with Redhat 4.2, and was upgraded to RedHat 5, 5.1, and
5.2, and that's where it stayed.  Early on, I upgraded RAM to 40M, and
disk to 2G, then 6G.  The kernel finally topped out at 2.0.39 after a
long stint at 2.0.32 . I bumped it up this year to 39 to handle CIPE and
wireless services.

The box's down fall were twofold: weight (7lbs) and battery life (3 minutes).

The computing power was fine for what I need.  That some labels were worn
off a number of keys was not a problem.  The 800x600 DSTN (not wide angle)
screen worked well enough.  And a perfectly working suspend means it started
up quickly from where I left off.

WPLUG was there for almost all of the journey.  The machine had never
attached through ethernet until Rob Dale typed incantations and it
sprung to life -- connected to the Doom server.  He also convinced it to
act as an NFS server to aid in Alex installing to a machine that had no
CDROM.  The case proudly displayed a Penguin sticker provided by Jeremy
Dinsel.  And daily I made use of 'screen', and later 'kibitz', both
learned about from Mark Sikora.  When the 6G drive was new, a partition
was reserved for putting a different distro on at every installfest that
I could make.

It will be missed.  Thanks for being part of it all.

-- Rick