[wplug] Finding I/O for NIC card?

Brian Sammon brians+ at cs.cmu.edu
Thu Jan 1 20:01:18 EST 2004

> I have a Kingston KNE20 NIC card in my machine and I need to install the
> ne module to use it.  The ne module requires I specify the I/O
> (io=0xNNN) and it might want the IRQ as well (although it might be able
> to figure it out on it's own).

(I realize this is a bit late; I just got back from vacation)
Generally, if you compile the driver into the kernel, you don't have to worry
about knowing the IO addr or IRQ.
Alternatively, find a boot floppy that uses a kernel with all the network
drivers compiled in.  Old Slackware boot floppys (Slackware 3.*) were made
like this--I'm not sure if the recent versions are.
As the floppy boots, the kernel(with built-in NE2000 driver) will autodetect
the IRQ and I/O ports and report them.