[wplug] Suggested older notebook distro for noob?

Ghataora, Hardeep hghataora at ccac.edu
Wed Feb 25 13:28:39 EST 2004

Windowmaker is still kicking about, I use it on my Windows XP box with
cygwin/X ... http://www.windowmaker.org/
There are lots of options for installing LINUX when a CD-ROM is not
available including over a serial connection if another PC is available.
I guess it comes down to how limited, and how far back you're trying to
go, as LINUX has grown the spec it needs has grown too, remember the
days when X ran on 8MB of RAM? If you have a 486 SX-25 you're probably
not looking to run Windows XP on it, so trying to get Fedora running on
it would be pushing it too. I'm sure it can be done, I know Brandon P
has had success getting LINUX booting on a 486 laptop (it had 2 MB of
memory I believe).

It's all fun!